DUBUQUE – The Wartburg women’s tennis team has secured the American Rivers Conference Championship outright with an 8-1 victory over the University of Dubuque on Tuesday, Oct. 9, marking its first title in program history and advancing to 11-0 on the season.
The Knights also set a single season record with eight conference wins and went undefeated in conference play for the first time in school history.
The Orange and Black swept the singles competitions and were led in victories from senior Ashley Rottinghaus (Mason City) at No. 1 singles and doubles, junior Hannah Fox (Waverly) in No. 2 singles and No. 1 doubles and recent women’s tennis “Player of the Week” winner Lauren O’Brian (Ely) at the No. 3 singles spot, among other Knights players.
Wartburg College 8, University of Dubuque 1
1. Ashley Rottinghaus (W) def. A. Palacios-Quinonez (UD) 6-2, 6-0
2. Hannah Fox (W) def. Naomi Amani (UD) 6-0, 6-0
3. Lauren O’Brian (W) def. Madeline Parker (UD) 6-0, 6-4
4. Madison Overmann (W) def. Megan Ranney (UD) 6-4, 6-0
5. Gabby Olejniczak (W) def. Hailey Wang (UD) 6-4, 6-0
6. Sydney Powers (W) def. Kaitlynn Green (UD) 6-4, 6-2
1. Ashley Rottinghaus/Hannah Fox (W) def. A. Palacios-Quinonez/Megan Ranney (UD) 8-5
2. Naomi Amani/Madeline Parker (UD) def. Lauren O’Brian/Rachel Zittergruen (W) 9-8
3. Alex Petersen/Rebekah Corson (W) def. Hailey Wang/Kaitlynn Green (UD) 8-3
With the victory, Coach Chris Gustas has led his alma mater to the top for the first time in program history and has improved his women’s tennis record at Wartburg to 34-21, good for second all-time in winning percentage (.618).
The Knights return to action this weekend at the American Rivers Conference Tournament.